Even though you’re looking forward to seeing the leaves change color and hearing the crunch beneath your feet, it’s important to make sure our furry friends can enjoy their fall walks without getting hurt.
As the seasons change, so do the dangers to our pets, and the PDSA has issued advice on the poisonous plants that owners should keep their pets away from.
A number of plants are poisonous and in some cases can be fatal to our pets. Therefore, it is important to know what we should avoid.
“Our four-legged friends are very curious by nature and often want to sniff out new smells and objects,” says PDSA veterinary nurse Nina Downing.
“Knowing what to keep your pet away from can help keep them safe—and prevent spontaneous trips to the vet if they eat something that could be poisonous.”
You should avoid poisonous plants when taking walks this fall
Acorns contain tannic acid, which can be toxic and cause stomach upset including vomiting and diarrhea.
Unripe and green acorns can be even more toxic because they contain more tannins.
If your dog eats acorns, it can cause a blockage in his intestines and, although rare, it can cause long-term kidney and liver damage.
Every part of a yew tree, including its red berries and even the leaves, is poisonous to dogs.
Yew trees are often found in cemeteries, so it is important that pet owners keep an eye out for them on their walks.
If you think your pet has eaten parts of a yew tree, you must seek immediate veterinary advice.
Horse chestnut trees
A horse chestnut tree’s bark, leaves, flowers, and tree trunks are poisonous to pets.
This is due to the chemical aesculin, which is found in every part of the tree and its fruits – the conkers.
The conkers could also become a choking or blocking threat.
Not to be confused with spring crocuses, fall crocuses have pale purple, pink or white flowers in the fall.
All parts of the plant are highly toxic to pets and there are a number of symptoms to watch out for.
Symptoms include vomiting, salivation and bloody diarrhea and can lead to liver and kidney failure, collapse and even death.
You must contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet eats any part of the fall crocus.
For more information on keeping your pet safe this fall, visit PDSA website.
Why your dog shouldn’t eat chocolate
Nina adds: “As you go for a walk this autumn, it is important to look out for dangerous plants and trees that could harm your pet.
“Keep an eye on them and try to take your dog to a place that you know is free of poisonous plants.
“If you know that your pet has a habit of being a small scavenger, you may need to take extra precautions, such as teaching him to be comfortable wearing a basket muzzle when you are out and about to prevent this he picks up something dangerous.
“Vomiting, diarrhea, shaking and difficulty breathing can be signs that your pet has eaten something poisonous.
“But even if your pet shows no signs and you know it has eaten something it shouldn’t, call the vet immediately. Your veterinarian will be happy to advise you whether your pet is at risk and what you should do.
“The quicker you act, the quicker your veterinarian can provide necessary treatment if needed, which can reduce or prevent longer-term problems for your pet.”
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/23784435.4-toxic-fatal-plants-dogs-avoid-autumn/?ref=rss 4 Poisonous and Deadly Plants Dogs Should Avoid This Fall