Nearly a month after the first case of monkeypox was confirmed in LDH Region 1 — which consists of Orleans, Plaquemines, Jefferson and St. Bernard parishes — the first case of the virus was confirmed in the Acadiana region.
The Louisiana Department of Health reports 5 confirmed cases of monkeypox in Acadiana.
dr Tina Stefanski is the Regional Medical Director for the LDH District 4 Office of Public Health, which covers most of Acadiana. In this The Advocate article, she offers hopeful context for the disease:
The monkeypox virus belongs to the family of viruses that also includes smallpox, but it is a much milder disease. It’s rarely fatal,” Stefanski said. “There have been no confirmed deaths in the current outbreak.”
So far, LDH confirms there are 58 total infections in Louisiana. Most of them – 42 infections – are reported in the Southeast Louisiana region. Many of the regions – South Central, Southwest, Central and Northeast – are still reporting 0 cases.
Medical officials with LDH define monkeypox as:
a potentially serious viral illness that typically presents with flu-like symptoms, swelling of the lymph nodes, and a rash with bumps that initially fill with fluid before crusting.”
Medical officials also point out that monkeypox can be confused with syphilis or herpes, sexually transmitted infections.
Much discussion of how monkeypox is spread has focused on how the disease appears to be spread through sex, particularly among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. Early data from the CDC says gay and bisexual men account for a high number of cases, but LDH says if you’ve been in close contact with someone who has monkeypox, you could be at risk yourself, regardless of who your sexual partners are. perhaps.
Here are ways monkeypox can be spread:
- Through direct contact with a rash or sores on a person who has the virus
- Through contact with clothing, bedding, and other items used by a person with monkeypox, or through respiratory droplets, which can be transmitted through prolonged direct contact, including kissing, cuddling, or sex
- From infected animals, either by scratching or being bitten by the animal, or by eating meat or using products from an infected animal.
The good news is that monkeypox cannot be transmitted by people who do not have symptoms.
The symptoms of monkeypox are:
- muscle pain and back pain
- Swollen lymph nodes
- A rash that can look like pimples or blisters and appears on the face, mouth, and other parts of the body such as the hands, feet, chest, genitals, or anus. Sometimes people get a rash first, followed by other symptoms. Others only experience a rash. Some cases of the current US outbreak have seen only isolated rashes on the genitals or other parts of the body.
Goose bumps and other body reactions explained
LOOK: The states with the most UFO sightings
READ MORE: Strange, wild UFO sightings from history
https://kpel965.com/monkeypox-in-acadiana-5-cases-confirmed-by-louisiana-department-of-health/ 5 Cases Confirmed by La. Health Department