A newborn baby girl dies at the hospital after a mistake at just 2 months old

Just days after baby Nailah Ally was born, she was diagnosed with a serious intestinal problem.

Nailah, who was born in Crawley, had necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) – a disease in which the intestines become inflamed and die.

Nailah Ally was born with a serious gut problem and also had a hole in her heart


Nailah Ally was born with a serious gut problem and also had a hole in her heartCredit: PA
Her parents, Laila Tobota, 26, and her partner Emmanuel Ally took her to the hospital on December 28 as she developed a swollen abdomen


Her parents, Laila Tobota, 26, and her partner Emmanuel Ally took her to the hospital on December 28 as she developed a swollen abdomenCredit: PA

She was also diagnosed with a hole in her heart during pregnancy.

But due to a hospital error, the boy died after suffering septic shock on Jan. 13, 2020, at just two months old.

Now her heartbroken parents have received undisclosed compensation from a hospital trust after medics misinterpreted some of her symptoms as cow’s milk intolerance.

On December 28, 2019, Nailah was hospitalized with a swollen abdomen.

She was treated for suspected sepsis, but doctors did not administer a barium enema.

This is a test to help highlight the colon so it can be seen clearly on an X-ray – to consider the possibility that your bowel may have narrowed due to NEC damage.

Her parents, Laila Tobota, 26, and her partner Emmanuel Ally directed Irwin Mitchell’s lawyers to investigate her care under the Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs East Surrey Hospital.

The legal team highlighted that an NHS inquiry found a consultant believed Nailah may have an intolerance to cow’s milk and changed the formula she was feeding herself.

On January 7, 2020, Nailah was sent home from East Surrey Hospital and scheduled for a follow-up appointment three days later.

The following day, Nailah went into septic shock and an X-ray showed a suspected perforated bowel.

Her condition worsened and she died on January 13, 2020.

A post-mortem revealed that she died of multiple organ failure caused by NEC and a narrowed bowel.

A spokesman for Irwin Mitchell said: “A causal analysis investigative report from the Trust found that a barium enema could not be administered, which may have subsequently found Nailah’s narrowed bowel suffered from ‘due to her episode of necrotizing enterocolitis’.

“The failure to administer the test was due to poor documentation, poor in-person handovers between doctors, and poor ownership of Nailah’s case by a named counselor, the report said.”

The spokesman said the Trust paid Nailah’s parents an undisclosed settlement to allow them access to the professional support they needed after her death, but did not admit liability.

What is necrotizing enterocolitis?

Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) is a serious intestinal disease. It mainly affects premature babies, although it can very rarely occur in full-term babies, the NHS states.

Although the cause is not certain, there are some risk factors, guidelines state:

These include:

  • prematurity.
  • – Sepsis (blood poisoning) – a fairly common problem in sick babies.
  • Problems affecting the flow of blood and oxygen to the intestines.
  • formula milk feed. (Breast milk offers some protection).
  • Respiratory Distress Syndrome – a common breathing problem in prematurely ill people
  • newborn.
  • Congenital cyanotic heart defect – Babies who are born with a heart defect and are “blue”.
  • Babies who did not grow well in the womb.

The condition can come on suddenly or more slowly.

Medical professionals usually suspect babies have the disease when their tummy swells or when they are unwell.

They may vomit or suck up the feeding tube, and their milk may be green because of bile.

If you’re worried about her symptoms, call NHS 111 or visit your GP. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Emily Mansfield, the medical negligence expert representing the family, said: “The past few years and dealing with Nailah’s death have understandably been incredibly traumatic for Laila and Emmanuel.

“Nailah’s case demonstrates not only the dangers of sepsis but also the possible consequences of poor communication between physicians and between physicians and families.”

Ms Tobota, a human resources manager, said: “Although it has been three years since Nailah passed away, the hurt and pain we feel is still as raw as it was then.

“She was the most adorable and beautiful child who didn’t deserve the suffering she went through in her short life. Nailah was an absolute fighter and so brave to the end.

“We can’t thank the heart surgeons enough for everything they did to help Nailah.

“However, after Nailah was transferred, we felt that some staff were ignoring our needs and that no one really asked us about our child during rounds or staff handovers.

“It felt like Nailah’s dietary issues were often blamed on dairy intolerance rather than the focus being on her medical needs.”

I tried on a size 18 and a new €51 suit from the Tesco F&F range - this is what it looks like
The seaside town just minutes from Dublin - with sandy beaches and wallabies

In a statement, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust said: “We are very sorry for the experience Nailah’s family have had at East Surrey Hospital and our deepest sympathies remain with them at this very difficult time.

“We take every death very seriously and as a Trust we have already researched and created a thorough action plan to ensure we are learning the necessary lessons and more importantly improving our care for future patients.”

https://www.thesun.ie/health/10349515/newborn-baby-girl-dies-hospital-blunder/ A newborn baby girl dies at the hospital after a mistake at just 2 months old


Pechip.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@pechip.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button