Postecoglou has emerged as the front runner for the vacant Spurs managerial post after impressing chairman Daniel Levy and new chief football officer Scott Munn.
However, serious discussions about the Tottenham job were delayed until after Saturday’s Scottish Cup final at Hampden Park, when Celtic defeated Championship side Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3-1 to secure their eighth domestic treble to set the world record.
standard sport expects Spurs to increase their interest in Postecoglou as Antonio Conte’s long-term successor, with Cristian Stellini and then Ryan Mason temporarily taking charge in recent months.
The 57-year-old is currently on a rolling 12-month contract at Glasgow. There have been reports in recent months that Celtic could offer him a great new long-term deal.
Postecoglou has remained extremely reticent about his own future since those Spurs ties first emerged, and it is no different after becoming the fifth manager to successfully guide dominant Celtic to a domestic treble.
The Hoops had already won the Scottish Premiership by a seven-point margin over arch-rivals Rangers, whom they also defeated in the League Cup final in February. Former Australia manager Postecoglou has won a total of five major trophies, including back-to-back league titles, since leaving Japanese club Yokohama F. Marinos to succeed Neil Lennon at Parkhead in 2021.
“I understand all of this (the questions) but I’m going to be a little selfish here, not just for myself but for my family and those around me. We’ve all worked really hard to enjoy this moment,” he said when quizzed by BBC Scotland about his Celtic future after Kyogo Furuhashi, Liel Abada and Jota beat Inverness by goals at Hampden.
“As disappointing as that may be for people, I will. We worked too hard as players and managers.”
“Now, if I start talking again about things that don’t really matter to me and the people around me, then I just enjoy it and will do so for as long as possible before people drag me away to talk about other things talk.” “
Postecoglou added that he will now be taking a break from football after a relentless 2022/23 season that included the inaugural Winter World Cup in Qatar.
“It felt like a long season, maybe because of the World Cup break,” he said. “Our performances have slipped in the last few weeks, the boys feel like things have gone well.”
“I’m just super proud of them and amazed at the level they’ve created. I think everyone is looking forward to a break.”
Tottenham chairman Levy, who is also looking to hire a new director of football to succeed Fabio Paratici this summer, has also been in talks with Luis Enrique since Arne Slot confirmed he would stay at Feyenoord, with Napoli assuming the former manager of Spain and Barcelona will rather move to the Premier League than replace Luciano Spalletti as boss of the newly crowned Serie A champions.
However, Spurs have no plans to speak to Julian Nagelsmann, who remains a free agent after being sacked by Bayern Munich and replaced by Thomas Tuchel in March. Interim coach Mason wants to take on the role on a full-time basis.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ange-postecoglou-tottenham-celtic-b1085430.html Ange Postecoglou provides update on Celtic future as Tottenham prepare to ramp up interest