Health authorities are urgently trying to trace Britons who may have contracted botulism after eating at a restaurant in Bordeaux.
A person has died after becoming infected with the potentially fatal neurotoxin caused by eating sardines at Tchin Tchin wine bar.
According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), more than 29 people showed symptoms of illness after eating the food. Three people who returned to England are already being treated.
Botulism is caused by a toxin that attacks the body’s nerves and can be fatal if not treated early. It is typically caused by eating improperly preserved foods.
Symptoms include visual disturbances and difficulty swallowing and speaking, but diarrhea and vomiting may also occur.
The incubation period of the disease is typically 12 to 36 hours, but can be up to 7 days. Most cases of botulism recover, but the recovery period can take many months.
Dr. Gauri Godbole, consultant medical microbiologist at UKHSA, said: “The French authorities have informed us of a further small number of people who they were unable to identify from their credit card details who they believed to be from the UK.”
“If you ate at Tchin Tchin Wine Bar in Bordeaux, France, between September 4th and 10th, please urgently contact your local emergency room and inform them that you have recently visited a restaurant with a botulism outbreak visited. Botulism does not spread from person to person and there is no risk to the general population.”
Ireland’s Health Safety Executive (HSE) confirmed that a “small number” of Irish nationals who ate at the restaurant were being treated. The bar is popular with tourists and is said to have been busy during Ireland’s Rugby World Cup against Romania.
The ARS Nouvelle-Aquitaine, a local health authority, said the majority of those treated for suspected botulism at Bordeaux University Hospital were from the United States, Canada and Germany.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/warning-brits-dined-bordeaux-restaurant-botulism-outbreak-b1107159.html Health officials are trying to find Brits who dined at a Bordeaux restaurant at the center of the deadly botulism outbreak