High School Football Player Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Game

A high school football player suddenly collapsed and went into cardiac arrest during a game in Surrey, North Dakota on September 9. Fortunately, medical staff were able to save the young player’s life and he was flown to a hospital.

Ole Svangstu, part of the Divide County football team, collapsed while heading to a team huddle in the third quarter of the game, KXNET reported.

Medical personnel manning the game – including the Surrey Ambulance crew, the Trinity sports medicine team and a retired paramedic in the crowd – immediately went into action, the news agency reported.

“We turned the patient over and Sports Medicine helped remove the helmet and pads,” Marcy Kuhnhenn, a Minot Ambulance paramedic, told KXNET. “The firefighters had them [automated external defibrillator]and they did compressions and applied that and I went through normal CPR routine with the AED.”

After being shocked by the defibrillator, the young man reacted, she said.


The humiliating moment Harry is forced to stand with his hands to his side as the family honors the funeral

With his heart beating again, Svangstu was flown to Trinity Hospital in nearby Minot. He was later transferred to the Mayo Pediatric ICU, KXNET reported.

At the Mayo Clinic, Svangstu underwent surgery to remove an extra conduit in his heart that had allowed electrical activity to flow in both directions, which was determined to be the cause of his cardiac arrest, KXNET reported.

Divide County School Superintendent Dr. Sherlock Hirning announced the senior footballer is now home after surgery, KFYR-TV reported.

Should parents be concerned about their children’s heart health?

“We are fortunate that things took a turn for the better and that the appropriate medical supplies and technology were available to revive him,” Hirning told the news agency.

KXNET spoke to Svangstu’s father, who thanked everyone who helped save his son’s life.

In a Facebook post, the student’s father wrote, “The outcome would have been very different if he hadn’t been so close to an available AED and the people God placed there,” reported KXNET.

Kuhnhenn also noted that although this scary incident had a good outcome, it should make everyone aware of the safety procedures.

“Whether you’re a parent, coach, teacher, or business professional, attend your CPR classes and know where your AEDs are. If you are a businessman, get an AED if possible. Let your employees know about CPR. Because that can happen anytime, anywhere,” Kuhnhenn told KXNET.


Mother sent daughter one last message, then her body was found naked and burned

She added that early resuscitation and use of an AED in a cardiac episode “is a huge factor in the survival of these people who collapse at the scene,” she added.

The Divide County School District community held a benefit auction to raise funds for the Svangstu family.

Svangstu’s parents were grateful for all of the prayers and support their son and his family have received from the community, the outlet reported.

“The outcome of this situation is a testament to the camaraderie of a community that looks out for one another,” reported KXNET.

https://www.westernjournal.com/high-school-football-player-suffers-cardiac-arrest-game/ High School Football Player Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Game


Pechip.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@pechip.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button