Italy meet England in a UEFA Nations League clash at the San Siro in Milan on Friday (23 September).
To say this is a key game in this Nations League group would be an understatement. If England don’t win, they’ll be relegated to League B, while if Italy lose, they’ll also face relegation.
No team has been at their best this year. Italy defeated Hungary in June but suffered an embarrassing 5-2 defeat by Germany in the last game of the summer.
England, on the other hand, failed to win any of their four Nations League games this summer, drawing against Italy and Germany and losing twice to Hungary – including a terrible 4-0 defeat at the Molineux. The Three Lions conclude their Nations League season at home against Germany on Tuesday.
With those two games being England’s last before the FIFA World Cup, the Three Lions will look to go into the four-yearly competition with a win.
Italy vs England head to head and key numbers
- England’s 4-0 defeat by Hungary was the worst of Gareth Southgate’s tenure as manager. His team are now down four games without a win, also their worst run under Southgate.
- Italy’s last four games against England have ended in a draw, including last summer’s Euro 2020 final, which the Azzurri won on penalties.
- Italy have never lost a competitive game at home to England, the last meeting was in a 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifier which ended goalless. England beat the Azzurri on their own pitch, but only in friendlies.
- Since their Euro 2020 triumph, Italy have won just three of their next 11 games while England have won five of their next ten.
- Only two players have scored for England in competitive games against Italy since 1990 – Daniel Sturridge and Luke Shaw.
Italy vs England Prediction
Neither side was at their best in the game, but given Italy’s home advantage, I think they can be considered favourites.
England have the ability to beat any side on their day, but Italy have proven to be something of a bogeyman for the Three Lions in the past few years. While Southgate’s men will be hoping for a rebound ahead of the World Cup, it’s hard to imagine their resurgence beginning here.
The forecast is for a narrow home win for Italy.
Forecast: Italy 1-0 England
$1,100 First Bet Insurance at Caesars
Italy vs England betting tips
Tip 1: Result: Italy wins
Tip 2: Game with less than 2.5 goals – YES SIR (Matches between Italy and England are notoriously goalless and in June they ended goalless.)
Tip 3: England fails at goal – YES SIR (Italy have kept clean sheets in three of their last five competitive games against England.)
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/italy-vs-england-prediction-betting-tips-september-23-2022?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sportskeeda Italy vs England Prediction and Betting Tips