It is the second protest to be held after the one outside the High Court in Strand Newsquest Investigative Unit new evidence uncovered.
Jason was convicted of murdering Robert Darby outside the Valentine pub in Gants Hill in 2013. He is serving a life sentence.
But in spring 2023 the Romford recorder revealed that the star prosecution eyewitness who singled out Jason as the killer now claims he was drunk at the time and is not sure he identified the right person.
Robert and Jason’s families are working together to overturn his conviction and are currently preparing an application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC). Newsquests new evidence.
“I hope the general public sees this,” his mother Jenny, 76, said at the protest on Friday (June 9).
“I think public support is needed to get Jason out because the authorities won’t admit they made mistakes.”
Jenny wept outside the courthouse where Prince Harry’s phone hacking trial is taking place and said: “I carry it with me every day. It’s such an outrage. It concerns you every morning and every night.
“You can’t really move on with your life. My only son is incarcerated for something he didn’t do. Sometimes it’s just too hard to bear.”
Around 30 protesters gathered outside the courthouse, chanting “Justice for Jason” and “Jason is innocent.”
Check out our exclusive investigation into the Jason Moore case:
Robert Darby suffered a stab wound to the heart on August 25, 2005.
Two eyewitnesses – Abdul Ahmed and Sally Palmer – saw him scuffling with another man in the street shortly before he collapsed.
Both said the man on the street was no more than 1.80 meters tall. Mr Ahmed said the man had a shaved head, while Ms Palmer said he had “normal hair”.
Jason is 1.95 meters tall and had long, dark hair.
In an identification process weeks later, Mr. Ahmed identified an innocent volunteer with very short, receding hair as the stabber.
He was shown another lineup with a photo of Jason and didn’t recognize anyone.
Ms. Palmer, who was shown the same photo lineups, hovered over a shaved-head volunteer but ultimately chose no one.
But seven years later, Mr Ahmed was asked to take part in another identification process where he was again shown a photo of Jason.
Several experts have now explained it Newsquest that should never have happened.
At that trial in 2012, he identified Jason as the stabber.
Jason was charged as a direct result of the murder and convicted a year later.
But if Newsquest Mr. Ahmed was tracked down as part of a long investigation into the security of Jason’s conviction, He said he wasn’t sure he picked the right person.
“It was the blink of an eye!” he exclaimed, exasperated. “I came over! How could you remember something like that? And I was drunk!”
He claimed he told police at the time that he had been drinking alcohol. If true, this information was never disclosed to the defense.
Dave McKelvey, a highly decorated former Met Police detective who has spent years investigating the safety of Jason’s conviction, said: “Ahmed’s evidence was effectively the evidence that convicted Jason. This new material challenges that whole belief.”
To get the latest updates in our Jason Moore investigationalongside the best of our other crime stories, Sign up for our new FREE weekly newsletter
Two days after Newsquest revealed Mr Ahmed’s comments in March, Protesters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice.
They met again outside court on Friday.
“We want the CCRC to open its eyes and ears, read the evidence and hear our voices,” said Jason’s ex-partner Sandra Dumont.
“This is a serious miscarriage of justice. Jason wasn’t out that day.”
“It’s a small request to release an innocent man so that the authorities admit they made a mistake,” said Jason’s mother, Jenny.
The CCRC previously told this newspaper that it had carried out a “comprehensive review” and found “no real possibility” that Jason’s conviction could be overturned.
It said he was “happy to apply for further CCRC review”.
The Metropolitan Police Service said the case was closed and would be reopened if significant new evidence comes to light.
Newsquest offered the Met the audio recording of her interview with Mr Ahmed, but did not accept the offer.