Elon Musk has said his proposed $44 billion (£36 billion) acquisition of Twitter should move ahead if the company can confirm some details about how it measures whether user accounts are “spam bots” or real people .
The billionaire CEO of Tesla has attempted to back out of his April agreement to buy the social media company, leading to Twitter suing him last month to complete the acquisition.
Mr Musk countered, accusing Twitter of misleading his team about the true size of its user base and other issues, which he said constituted fraud and breach of contract.
Both sides are heading to a trial in October in a Delaware court.
“If Twitter simply provides their method of testing 100 accounts and confirming they are genuine, the deal should go ahead on the original terms,” Mr Musk tweeted on Saturday.
“However, if their SEC filings are found to be materially false, it should not be.”
Twitter declined to comment.
The company has repeatedly disclosed an estimate to the Securities and Exchange Commission that less than 5% of user accounts are fake or spam, suggesting it could be higher. Mr. Musk waived his right to further due diligence when signing the merger agreement in April.
Twitter has argued in court that Mr Musk is deliberately trying to stop the deal because market conditions have deteriorated and the acquisition no longer serves his interests.
In a Thursday court filing, it describes its counterclaims as an imaginary story “disproved by the evidence and common sense.”
“Musk fabricates allegations that Twitter never made, and then seeks to selectively use the extensive confidential data Twitter has provided to him to induce breach of those alleged allegations,” the company’s attorneys wrote.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/musk-says-twitter-deal-could-move-ahead-with-bot-information-41894124.html Musk says Twitter deal could move ahead with ‘bot’ information