The makers of the One Chip Challenge are removing the product from stores after 14-year-old Harris Wolobah died on Friday.
Harris’ family, from Massachusetts in the US, suspect he died from “complications” from eating the One Chip Challenge, although autopsy results have not yet been released.
The challenge became popular on social media and involved eating one of the world’s hottest tortilla chips.
Participating in the challenge then means waiting as long as possible before eating or drinking something else for relief.
The One Chip Challenge from the American brand Paqui is individually packaged and consists of the two hottest chili peppers in the world, Carolina Reaper and Scorpion.
Following Harris’ death, it is now being pulled from shelves in the US and Paqui has added a new disclaimer on its website saying the challenge is “intended for adults only”.
In a statement, they add that there is “clear and conspicuous labeling indicating that the chip is not intended for children.”
A full statement from Paqui reads: “The Paqui One Chip Challenge is intended for adults only. The clear and clear labeling indicates that the chip is not suitable for children or people who are sensitive to spicy foods or suffer from food allergies, are pregnant or have underlying health conditions.” .
“We have seen an increase in teenagers and others not heeding these warnings.
“While the product continues to meet food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are actively working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves.”
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/23776324.one-chip-challenge-pulled-shelves-teen-dies/?ref=rss One Chip Challenge has been pulled from shelves following the death of a teenager