News

Prosecution of Sarah Everard vigil attendees ‘discontinued’

Prosecutions have been dropped for six protesters for attending a vigil for Sarah Everard.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) told lawyers for the protesters last week that prosecutions had been “closed”, The Observer reported.

In a statement to the PA news agency, the CPS said it had failed the “legal test” for prosecution.

A CPS spokesman said: “We are required to review cases on an ongoing basis and we have concluded that our legal test for a prosecution has not been met.”

The vigil took place on Clapham Common on March 13 last year.

The event was originally organized by Reclaim These Streets but was canceled after the Met said it should not take place and the High Court failed to provide a definitive answer on the matter.

However, people kept showing up throughout the day and officers did not intervene for the first six hours while many came to lay flowers and the Duchess of Cambridge also paid her respects.

By evening, hundreds of people had gathered and refused to leave when urged by police, leading to clashes that saw protesters bundled to the ground and arrested.

The six protesters had been accused of violating lockdown rules by attending the vigil.

One of them, Dania Al-Obeid, described the CPS’ decision to drop her case as a “victory”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/14/prosecution-sarah-everard-vigil-attendees-discontinued/ Prosecution of Sarah Everard vigil attendees ‘discontinued’

Linh

Pechip.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@pechip.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button