Three young scouts rescued on Mourne Mountains following multiagency operation

A multi-agency rescue operation has taken place in the Morne Mountains after two young Scouts had to be rescued after falling.

Morne Mountain Rescue confirmed its operation with 16 volunteers was launched just before 5pm on Saturday when they received reports that the two people had fallen from around 30m in the Slieve Binnian area.

One of the youths sustained a lower leg injury and the other sustained multiple serious injuries. A third suffered a knee injury trying to save the others.

The young people are believed to have been on the mountain as part of a Boy Scout troop from Dublin.

The PSNI was on the scene with the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service, with a Coastguard Rescue Helicopter also deployed from Dublin.

A Scout leader who was with the youths confirmed that two of those involved have been discharged from hospital and the third is expected to make a full recovery.

Mark Coyne wrote on Facebook: “On behalf of myself and all the other executives can I say that we are extremely grateful for all the amazing and professional care we received from the Morne Mountain Rescue Team yesterday – you were amazing.

“I am pleased to report that both scouts with the knee and ankle injuries were transferred to Daisy Hill and discharged later that night and are now recovering at home.

“The third scout was taken to Belfast by ambulance and although his injuries were serious he is expected to make a full recovery and will likely be discharged in the coming days.”

In a statement, Morne Mountain Rescue Team said: “Emergency call 10/15/22: At 4:53pm the team received a call to assist members of a group who were injured after falling in the area of ​​the water plates on Slieve Binnian.

“Two young people had fallen from around 30m, one with a lower leg injury and the other with multiple potentially serious injuries. A third member of the group suffered a knee injury trying to help the others.

“The group leaders provided initial assessment and support to the injured, one of whom was able to reach a stretch with assistance and be evacuated into an ambulance by local police.

“The other two injured were assessed, treated and bagged by team members and then carried on a gurney to team vehicles for transport to the curb and into ambulances.

“Coastguard Rescue Helicopter 116 from Dublin was also at the scene but was unable to assist given the deteriorating conditions. Local police, NIAS HART, and ambulance crews also responded and assisted.

“16 team members responded and resigned at 9:30 p.m.” Three young scouts rescued on Mourne Mountains following multiagency operation

Linh is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button