US critics appeared unfazed by the first part of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new Netflix series, describing it as “a simple romance with no real royal dirt.”
Ajor US media offered largely unfavorable takes on the tell-tale documentary, the first three episodes of which began streaming Thursday.
In it, Harry accuses the royals of “a great deal of unconscious bias” and Meghan says the media wanted to “destroy” them.
Variety’s chief critic Daniel D’Addario said the pair previously “shocked the world on multiple occasions” — both with the infamous “Megxit” and the subsequent interview with Oprah Winfrey in March 2021.
“With today’s release…the Sussexes once again surprise us with how narrow their vision of their fame has become, how narrow and unimaginative their presence on the world stage has become,” he wrote.
“They may have relinquished their responsibilities to the Crown, but they’re still in some sort of service.
However, none of this is the royal evisceration that we expectedStephanie Bunbury, Deadline
“There’s an air of duty to the entire ‘Harry & Meghan’ company, as if they’re honorably bound to share their personal story until we finally lose interest.”
Thursday’s episodes also shared some details about past allegations of racism within the royal family.
But Deadline’s Stephanie Bunbury said the episodes weren’t “the royal gutting we expected.”
“The story so far is a simple romance where the best looking royals who are out of business sit on a couch and agree they fell madly in love on their second date,” she wrote.
“None of it, however, is the royal evisceration that we expected.
“Presumably the Harry, formerly known as the Prince, and his maligned wife in next week’s Volume II will go into a bit more detail as to what prompted them to walk away from the whole thing and open a business in California.”
With today’s release, the Sussexes surprise us once again with just how narrow their vision of fame has become, how narrow and unimaginative their presence on the world stage has becomeDaniel D’Addario, chief critic of Variety
The Hollywood Reporter’s writers agreed that there wasn’t any “truly groundbreaking content,” although viewers experienced “an intimate retelling” of Harry and Meghan’s “amazing love story.”
“While expectations were high for what the documentary might reveal, audiences aren’t educated on anything truly groundbreaking in the first three episodes,” reads a THR article.
The next installment in the six-part series is scheduled for release next week, December 15th.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/us-critics-unimpressed-by-first-instalment-of-harry-and-meghans-netflix-series-42206890.html US critics unimpressed by first instalment of Harry and Meghan’s Netflix series