Watchdog investigating after police shoot man in Greenwich

Police Inspectors have launched an investigation after a man was shot dead by police in a “serious incident” in Greenwich.

The Metropolitan Police responded to multiple 999 reports of a man with a firearm on Creek Road on Friday afternoon.

Scotland Yard said a police firearm was fired and the man sustained a gunshot wound.

A spokesman for the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said: “Today, just after 4pm, we were notified by the MPS that a man had been gunned down as a result of a police shootout during an incident in Greenwich, south London.

“We have launched an independent investigation. Our investigators have been dispatched to the scene and (we have begun) to begin post-incident proceedings to gather evidence.”

Police said the incident was not related to terrorism.

His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening and he was taken to hospital after receiving treatment at the scene, the force added.

In a statement, the Met said, “While the investigation is at an early stage, it is not believed that this incident is terror-related or that there is an ongoing threat to the general public.”

Gemma Daly, 31, from Whitstable but in Greenwich, said she heard a shout and then “a big bang” which she believes was a gunshot.


Policemen on Creek Road, Greenwich (Christopher OO/PA)

She said she heard police sirens immediately, adding that emergency services then arrived.

“Police were attending to a man on the side of the bridge,” she said, adding that he was “clearly injured.”

“They stripped off his clothes,” she said, describing how “many people” worked on the man before he was placed on a stretcher.

Ms Daly said police had started bypassing a silver car that was still on the bridge.

Images of the scene showed emergency vehicles, including police cars and an ambulance, stopping in the middle of the street.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said they had dispatched several resources, including medics from London’s Air Ambulance, to the scene.

They said, “We treated a man at the scene and took him to a major trauma center as a priority.”

The Met said significant closures remained in place Friday night and urged the public to avoid the area. Watchdog investigating after police shoot man in Greenwich

Linh is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button