What are my F-1 OPT options if my crypto job is no longer available? – TechCrunch

Here is another edition from Dear Sophie, the advice column that answers immigration-related questions about working in tech companies.

“Your questions are critical to spreading knowledge that enables people around the world to rise above borders and achieve their dreams,” says Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley-based immigration attorney. “Whether you’re in HR, a founder, or looking for a job in Silicon Valley, I’d love to answer your questions in my next column.”

TechCrunch+ members get access to weekly Dear Sophie columns; Use promo code ALCORN to purchase a 1-year or 2-year subscription at 50% off.

Dear Sophie,

I am an F-1 student finishing my Bachelors in Computer Science this month. I got a work permit under OPT and had a job at a crypto company, but they withdrew my job offer.

Do I need to notify my DSO that my job offer has been withdrawn? What are my options, especially if I want to create my own web3 startup? How long can I stay in the US without a job? Thanks in advance for your help!

— Gallant degree

Dear Gallant,

We are sorry to hear that you were forced to change plans at the last minute. Although inconvenient, this can be an exciting opportunity to explore and even create something yourself!

Do I need to notify the DSO?

Yes, it is important that you inform your university’s Designated School Official (DSO) of your situation as soon as possible. Federal regulations require that you notify your DSO of any changes to your employment or personal information within 10 days. DSOs are required to update information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) within 21 days.

How long can I remain unemployed?

A composite image of immigration attorney Sophie Alcorn against a background with a TechCrunch logo.

Photo credit: Joanna Buniak/Sophie Alcorn (opens in a new window)

F-1 students on OPT are only allowed to remain unemployed for 90 days after graduation. Then they have to leave the USA.

Without optional practical training (OPT), F-1 students can stay in the United States for 60 days after graduation. This 60-day grace period applies even after the OPT expires, unless the F-1 student applies for a two-year extension, known as a STEM OPT, or finds another visa category.

What options do I have?

The first option is to create your own job opportunity by founding or co-founding a startup. Web3 is all the rage right now and will relate to your computer science degree from the F-1 OPT standpoint. Founders are allowed to be self-employed in F-1 Regular OPT once you receive your EAD card. What are my F-1 OPT options if my crypto job is no longer available? – TechCrunch

Snopx is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button